Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Preview of Things Yet to Come?

"Who needs sleep?
(well you're never gonna get it)
Who needs sleep?
(tell me what's that for)
Who needs sleep?
(be happy with what you're getting
There's a guy who's been awake
since the Second World War)" ~ Barenaked Ladies


Have I mentioned how much I like (LOVE) sleep? And being hypothyroid AND nearly nine months pregnant makes me absolutely obsessed with it.

When I'm not asleep, I frequently find myself day dreaming about sleeping. Take Sunday night for example. We went out to dinner for my Grandfather's birthday. At some point in the evening I needed to use the restroom (I know, color you surprised), and just outside of the restrooms, they had this couch. Now, typing the word couch hardly conveys the emotion I want to put into that word. But please imagine that the word 'couch' was said like you might say the name of your long lost lover or something. That's a pretty good approximation of how I felt about that couch. Sadly, I had to go back to dinner and did not get to lie down on said couch. But man, was I fantasizing about that couch for the rest of the meal. Then this morning I was at my endocrinologist's office. As usual, once I was in the room I had a bit of a wait. There was of course the obligatory examination table, you know, nearly flat, kinda narrow, had the annoying crinkly paper on it. I am ashamed to tell you how long I contemplated lying down on the damn thing to take a nap while I waited for her. It was a pretty near thing. So, the take home message here is, anything that's a horizontal surface and looks remotely comfortable, I'm probably thinking of sleeping on it. Or if standing, I'm definitely sitting on it.

Anyway, my baby and my uterus are fighting. One pisses the other off, usually somewhere between 2 and 3 am, and I'm up. For hours. Round and round they go. The baby doesn't like contractions. I can't really blame the baby, I find them uncomfortable myself and only my abdomen is being squeezed, not my entire self. So, the baby's typical reaction to a contraction is to kick that part of the uterus that contracted. So, it contracts again. On and on, all damn night. My sleep has become quite fragmented lately. 'Naps' during the day are really just the other half of my nighttime sleep.

So, if I seem anti-social lately, please do not be offended. I did promise Jeff I would go back to bed after my appointment, and so I am. One promise I am most happy to keep :)

1 comment:

  1. Been meaning to comment... That song goes thru my head SO OFTEN! No worries about being anti-social. At least you have an excuse. :)

    ReplyDelete