Monday, August 9, 2010

Sick 101

I've decided to give everyone a crash course in sickness. I thought I'd explain to everyone what's basically going on and what approximately to expect from me for the next little while.

If you've seen me recently, you've probably noticed that I do not look sick. If I looked like I felt, I'm sure some one would have ushered me to the ER by now :) I generally try to keep some semblance of 'togetherness' about my person. You know, hair washed, matching shoes, etc. So, you're probably wondering what's wrong. Its nothing exciting, just chronic fatigue (not chronic fatigue syndrome, I'm just flippin' tired ALL the time) and wide spread muscle pain. I have several suspects in mind, but all I ask is that I not end up on that show 'Mystery Diagnosis' or 'I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant'. It's the small things in life that matter.

Now, for those of you who've never experienced fatigue, let me paint you a picture. When you're sick and need to do something you think about each and every little step that is involved. A non-sick person who has to go to the store with an infant makes sure she has everything for the infant, straps the baby in and heads to the car. I see an endless amount of things that need to be done first. A shower, getting dressed, changing and dressing Doug, getting all his stuff and then strapping him into the infant carrier of doooooom.* By the time I've gotten Doug in his carrier in the car along with my purse and diaper bag, I'm ready to be done. But I haven't even left yet!

It's not all so bad. I have good days and I have bad days. Unfortunately, on good days I tend to do too much which ensures that my butt isn't leaving the couch for much the next day. So, my current plan is to budget my time and energy. Things I've already committed to I will try to uphold. However, I probably won't and shouldn't make new commitments now. I hate breaking commits more than anything, so I'll avoid new ones for a while. So if you ask me to do something I'll be honest with you and tell you if I can or not. It's not that I'm flakey or that I don't want to, its just that I may be stretching it too far.

So that's what's going on.

Here's a good link to check out: The Spoon Theory



* The infant carrier is all fantastic for saving Doug's life and what not, but it's heavy. Doug plus the infant carries weighs approximately 28 lbs. When you can carry your 15lb son only four houses down to the mail box and back, 28lbs is a big fat hairy deal. I think normal moms would build up some serious biceps, but no, I just have an arm like a noodle afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment