Friday, July 30, 2010

Baby Crush

A year ago tomorrow we heard a sound that has changed our lives forever. I'll never forget that day. Jeff stayed home from work. I woke up and took a shower and chugged 32 ounces of water while showering and getting dressed. I'd never felt so sick in my life! I remember sitting in the waiting room, forever, and desperately having to go to the bathroom and trying not to be sick. Finally we got called back. I was berated by the technician for not drinking enough water (as if!). Then she seemed to have found something. I thought to myself "that must be my heart beat." I looked at Jeff, who could see the monitor, and I knew by the look on his face that it wasn't mine, that it was the baby's. I think that was probably one of the most profound moments in my pregnancy, when we heard Doug's heart beat at 5 weeks.

I think that was the moment that I really let myself fall in love with Doug. Previously I had been in a state of disbelief about the whole thing. We were in love with Doug when he was born, of course. I feel like our love grows and grows every day. It's not necessairly that we loved Doug less when he was born, its just that I think he gives us more opportunities to love now. You know, now that he doesn't just eat, poop and sleep anymore.

Jeff and I sound like a couple of middle school girls at night, lying in bed discussing the day with Doug. "OMG! Did you hear him when he was laughing?!?" "Wasn't it so cute when he was splashing in the tub?" "I couldn't believe he had peas in his EARS!". It's really not too far from "OMG, he brushed up against me in the lunch line!" "Did you see his new shirt?" and "He sits near me in home room!". We're just a couple of people who are giddily in love with our son.

No comments:

Post a Comment