Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Super Woman!

Today was the day of many doctor visits. Yay!

This morning we had an impromptu visit to the pediatrician. There's probably a note now in my son's file that I am insane. Last night around midnight he was really fussy and still on this three hour feeding kick. He started really crying for no reason that we could figure out. As last resort, I stuck my finger in his mouth and felt around on his gum. Voila! There was something there! Further inspection revealed the something to be a small, hard whitish bump on his gum where a canine tooth would be. Frantic, I called my Mom and consulted the internet. The internet told me that indeed it could be a really early tooth and my son could be a freak of nature. So we called the doctor's office this morning and they told us to bring him in. The nurse practitioner (I really love NPs, they're my favorite kind of medical professional) took a look and declared it a harmless and painless cyst on his gum that would go away on it's own. She was very kind about it and didn't make me feel like a complete moron. Crisis averted!

Later this morning was my scheduled endocrinologist visit for 6 weeks postpartum. I can usually tell when my TSH (what is measured to determine how your thyroid is working) is high (towards hypothyroidism). I feel like crap when it goes up even a little, I've become quite sensitive to it. I was pretty sure that my thyroid wasn't under-active. I felt really really good. I evidently felt really really good because my thyroid is actually measuring in the hyper zone. I was a little sad that my doctor wanted to cut back my medicine. Hyperthyroidism carries its risks too, however. I think the risks associated with that can actually be more life threatening. Rest assured, my TSH wasn't that low, my doctor wasn't panicked about it. She'd had the results for a few days, so I don't think it was super urgent.

I can usually tell when my thyroid is giving out a lot of juice too. The other day I was standing and rocking Doug and he spit out his pacifier, and I grabbed it in mid air. I've always noticed that I have super human life reflexes when my TSH is low. I also wanted to do a million things when I got home from the hospital. I probably would have repainted the house if I wasn't recovering from surgery. It's a shame I can't take this and save it for later when I can use it. Ah well.

I'm looking forward to Friday night. We've decided to pawn off, er let Doug visit, with my parents for the night. I love him dearly, but it would be nice to just have a peaceful night. A whole night without a little person screaming! I won't know what to do with myself! I'm sure I'll miss him though, probably just enough to pick him up by noon the next day. Maybe Sunday ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment