Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Back on the GFCF Wagon

Saturday, after nearly a week on a GFCF (gluten free and casein free) diet, I decided it wasn't working. It had been working some, but not enough (I am impatient!). I decided that something else must be wrong and that pizza was an excellent idea for dinner. To say that pizza was a mistake would be understating things somewhat. I felt like I was going through a gastrointestinal Pearl Harbor. The most annoying thing about all my suffering, was that pizza has both gluten AND casein, so I couldn't even narrow it down to one or the other. Needless to say, Saturday night I recommitted myself to the diet.

Sunday we went shopping for some GFCF goodies. We went to MOM'S (My Organic Market) and were able to get some GFCF butter substitute, snack pretzels, pasta and sandwich bread. The only thing that wasn't so great was the bread; it was hard and very crumbly. Making GFCF meals can be easy, it just takes a little more planning. I did find that Chipotle is an excellent place for a GFCF meal, you just have to avoid their tortillas, cheese and sour cream. I had their very yummy crispy tacos for the first time Sunday night.

Going GFCF would be much harder if I didn't have the support that I do. Friends and family have been sending me tips, advice and food. A close friend of mine went shopping at Trader Joe's (I totally am going to hit them up tomorrow!) and brought over GFCF pasta, bread, brownie mix, chips, salsa and lots of other yummy food. We had a very nice spaghetti dinner last night that actually tasted like spaghetti. It was also the first meal I'd had in a while that didn't make me feel ill. The brownies were absolutely fantastic! So yummy! I need to get some more of that mix to share at my family's 4th of July party.

So for now, I'm going to keep at it. I'm definitely going to wait a while before I re-challenge myself, and definitely do it one food group at a time!

2 comments:

  1. oooh, snazzy new background!

    And are you keeping a diary? For food and sympotoms? I'd highly recommend one. Doctors love them. I don't know that they're as helpful as they could be, but they can be good, and if nothing else it will skip a doctor saying to you at some point "well, gee, take two weeks and document everything. Like, anal-retentively write crap down please. Then maybe we'll talk. Or i'll refer you to someone else".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I used the word "snazzy". In my defense, I was on the phone (some company calling about something, blah blah blah)....and your new look really is pretty.

    ReplyDelete